[tahoe-dev] Automatic rebalancing

Shu Lin linshu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 09:28:54 UTC 2010

Hi,

As the answer of this discussion, Tahoe doesn't have automatic rebalancing
capability now.
http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2010-December/005697.html

Also, we have bunch of tickets already tracking this problem. Such as the
rebalancing manager:
http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/543

I think beside rebalancing manager to start rebalancing all files in bulk
after a new server being added in, Tahoe can also start rebalancing
a particular file while a client tries to access it. It is better than
asking the human to start a repair manually. The person accessing the file
is definitely caring about the file, either more distributed or accessing it
faster. So, the algorithm can be defined as there must be shares put into
the server closer to the client (how to define "closer" is another story, it
could be the node consists of both the client and the server, or the client
and the server are in the same subnet) if there is not there yet. Using this
way, the shares will be rebalanced automatically under users intention
without scarifying too much resource in a short burst time.

In terms of the users' intention mapping to a server selection algorithm,
again, I like Zooko's idea. That should be a framework with descriptive
language to specify it.

Just a little thought. Hope it can fit into your design. :-)

Thanks,
-Shu