[tahoe-dev] Advertised invalid node port

Zooko O'Whielacronx zookog at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 21:04:04 PDT 2010

There was a conversation about this on tahoe-dev almost a year ago:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2009-July/002244.html

Shawn Willden posted some code which successfully configured his home
gateway to do port-forwarding.

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> wrote:
> I also remember reading that something like 70% of home
> routers that advertise UPnP functionality don't actually work.

50%, and that was waaaay back in 2006, when the internets were new
[1]. We did some measurements at Allmydata and I don't remember the
exact results, but I remember thinking it was enough to be useful but
not enough to be a complete solution. CoralCDN did some large-scale
stats gathering: [2]. They say that about 75% of the kind of people
who participate in CoralCDN surveys are behind NAT. There's no
timestamp on that page, but judging from the late of their last
publication I guess it was 2007. They also did some measurements of
how much added latency you would incur by going through a relay, which
is something that you might want to take a look at since you've been
hacking on foolscap relay.

Oh! And look! Google's web search engine tells me that you and I have
already had this conversation on the ticket: [3]. Adding to that
ticket the parts that weren't already there and wondering if I've
outsourced some of my brain to search engines.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/p2p-hackers@zgp.org/msg00192.html
[2] http://illuminati.coralcdn.org/stats/
[3] http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/49