[tahoe-dev] Tahoe Explorer

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Fri Mar 12 17:20:42 PST 2010

Toby Murray wrote:
> On 12 March 2010 00:09, Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:
>
>> Things that are not part of the Tahoe-LAFS core but are auxiliary
>> features would be fine, too, such as a new front-end written in Caja,
>
> I know there has been a few such things started in the past, notably Nathan
> Wilcox's JavaScript library includes a JavaScript treeview interface to
> Tahoe.
>
> I also spent a few days about this time last year hacking together a Cajita
> "Tahoe Explorer" application, witih support for drag and drop for copying
> files, amongst some other features. The code works (at least under Firefox
> 3.0.18) with Tahoe 1.6.1 and can be found here
>
> http://testgrid.allmydata.org:3567/uri/URI:DIR2:u64egztouchecgmlssxx3nk3o4:skv6utnyk4o5y3ea4qaznxflne6mvf4rrrmddjnbkcmdpvadqgya/
>
> Download 'explorer.zip' and unzip it in the 'public_html' subdir of your
> tahoe web client's base directory (creating 'public_html' if necessary). You
> should then be able to navigate to e.g.
>
> http://localhost:3456/static/explorer/tahoe_explorer.html

This is cool!

Results of some testing:

 - a file in a read-only directory (for example Zooko's blog directory,
<URI:DIR2-RO:j74uhg25nwdpjpacl6rkat2yhm:kav7ijeft5h7r7rxdp5bgtlt3viv32yabqajkrdykozia5544jqa>),
   has Rename and Unlink entries in its context menu. These fail (as you
   would expect), but silently.

 - the Properties entry in the context menu produces only a small popup
   with just a close box.

 - choosing the View entry for a file gives an URL of the form
   '.../uri/URI:CHK:...'.
   Since this doesn't include the filename, the webapi server doesn't have
   sufficient information to infer the Content-Type from the name's
   extension. So for example, Zooko's wiki.html page is displayed as its
   HTML source:

<http://testgrid.allmydata.org:3567/uri/URI:CHK:2n3dpzhaqrdinlpyffvbini24a:u3kqzvyj7f7ldcbc5ahflpcqy66tv3hcu3t2hwv3wdhpp5ovvizq:3:10:864964>
   (URL modified to use the public testgrid gateway).

   What the WUI does in this case is to use an URL of the form
   '.../file/URI:CHK:.../@@named=wiki.html'
   which causes the webapi server to add a 'Content-Type: text/html' header.
   For example:

<http://testgrid.allmydata.org:3567/file/URI:CHK:2n3dpzhaqrdinlpyffvbini24a:u3kqzvyj7f7ldcbc5ahflpcqy66tv3hcu3t2hwv3wdhpp5ovvizq:3:10:864964/@@named=wiki.html>