[tahoe-dev] GSoC Idea: Cloud app - Music player

Josip Lisec josiplisec at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 15:28:17 PDT 2010

Hello,
let me first introduce myself, my name is Josip Lisec and I'm a
student from Faculty of Organisation and Informatics, Varaždin,
Croatia, I'm a freshman with some experience in web development.

Even tough my idea my seem quite simple and rudimentary at first,
there is a lot of features I would like this app to have (even some
desktop apps would be put to shame):
  - Obvious feature: You have access to your music from any machine
which has Internet access
  - A search capability which would show not only "local" results, but
also results from online stores and video sites and Playdar (see
below)
  - Podcasts
  - Show details about current songs - lyrics, details about the
artist, album and similar songs (via last.fm)
  - Playlists which can be exported to last.fm or saved as .m3u,
  - Submit played music to last.fm
  - Interface for mobile devices (iPhone/Android devices/webOS devices)
  - Integration with Playdar[1], not strictly related with the
application but Tahoe is a perfect candidate for Playdar resolver.
  - A clean, minimalist interface, a hybrid between library-oriented
players (ie. iTunes) and http://thesixtyone.com/

As a part of application I would also work on a JS library for
interacting with Tahoe which could be later reused in new
applications. All in all, I believe that Tahoe would benefit from a
practical application which could potentially appeal to a wider range
of end-users.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to send ideas after March 29th, I guess
trying costs me nothing (I had a week full of exams and I could never
find the time to finish the email).

[1] http://playdar.com - It allows web apps to stream music you have
on your computer(s) (or web services) over the network, Playdar
resolvers are responsible for letting Playdar know where files
actually are and how to get them.

Cheers,
Josip Lisec