[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS source now available on GitHub

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Fri Oct 15 17:23:12 UTC 2010

For about 18 months, I've been running a personal bidirectional
git<->darcs bridge, and doing all of my own Tahoe development in git.
Last night I pushed a copy of this git repository up to GitHub:

  http://github.com/warner/tahoe-lafs

The "master" branch in that repo will exactly follow our canonical darcs
repo, although I update it manually, so it may lag by a few days. You
can get a copy of this repo with:

  git clone git://github.com/warner/tahoe-lafs.git

or you can create a GitHub account, then push the "Fork" button on my
repo's page (which creates your own copy of my repo), and then pull from
your new repo. If you plan to publish any branches of your own, use
Fork, because then you can push to your own repo and issue a "Pull
Request" to ask me to merge your changes into my master repo.

I will be publishing other development/feature/topic branches on GitHub
too (generally with a ticket number in the branch name). These other
branches will be rebased periodically, so if you plan to build work on
top of anything, do it on top of "master".

You may experience some problems when trying to build from a github
checkout: there's a moderate amount of darcs-centrism in our setup.py .
I believe I was able to overcome this by copying a
src/allmydata/_version.py from a built darcs tree (or release tarball)
into my git checkout. One of my experimental branches will include
support for generating _version.py from git history rather from darcs.

Any questions, please drop me a note.

share and enjoy!
 -Brian

PS: for an introductory guide on using Git, I highly recommend Scott
Chacon's http://progit.org/book/