[tahoe-dev] Benchmarks - 1.7.1 vs. 1.8.0c3

Kyle Markley kyle at arbyte.us
Sun Sep 5 07:05:29 UTC 2010

> Anyway, if you can compare the performance of v1.8.0c3 to any previous
> versions of Tahoe-LAFS that you have measured, that would be helpful.
> v1.8.0c3 is expected to be better-performing than both v1.7.1 and
> v1.8.0c2 for almost all server/share layouts, and much
> better-performing for certain layouts.

I spent some time fixing up my benchmarking script for running a storage
node on Windows.  (What a mess that was!)  I've attached my latest scripts
and the results from large and small file transfers of a 1/1/1
configuration with a single remote storage node over wireless, on both
1.7.1 and 1.8.0c3.

Unsurprisingly, with a 1/1/1 configuration there's little difference
between 1.7.1 and 1.8.0c3.  What did surprise me was how much slower
download is than upload.

I'll do some more interesting configurations tomorrow.  I'm happy to take
requests for configurations, but I only have 4 computers to play with.  (I
can run more than one storage node per computer if needed.)

--
Kyle Markley