[tahoe-dev] zsh completer

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Jan 25 13:46:04 UTC 2011

On 2011-01-25 11:05 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> My quick reaction is that reimplementing the filesystem within other
> programs is a reaction to the bug that mounting tahoe into the
> filesystem is not the standard approach.

A file system UI assumes that names are short, meaningful, and
comprehensible.

Tahoe's globally unique filenames are long and incomprehensible.

Therefore Tahoe needs a file system UI that implements Zooko's triangle.

A filesystem UI also supposes that certain links represent ownership and
form a tree, and treats these links differently.  Tahoe does not
implement this concept, and so does not actually fit in with a standard
file system UI.

Tahoe needs to change, needs to implement the concept of ownership, or
some superset or subset of that concept to fit with people's
expectations of how a file system UI behaves, and a file system UI needs
to change, needs to implement Zooko's triangle, to fit with the basic
concept of Tahoe