[tahoe-dev] Benefit of upload helper?

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue May 6 15:17:09 PDT 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 2:50 PM, Brian Warner wrote:

> Unfortunately, this "expansion penalty" occurs in the same upstream
> direction
> that most consumer DSL lines are slow anyways. Typical ADSL lines
> get 8 times
> as much download capacity as upload capacity.

I think the fact that ADSL is typical for consumer internet is
changing.  For example, http://speedtest.allmydata.com has been used
by 99 different people (or by a smaller number of people 99 different
times?) in the last 30 days to measure their bulk transfer rate to
allmydata.com.  The average download speed was 5558 k bits/second and
the average upload speed was 2822 k bits/second.

This is just the means of those two measurements, of course.
Figuring out something more interesting like the median ratio between
up and down would require actually writing a script...