[tahoe-dev] help: how should you tell a web browser what name to use for a file?

Brian Warner warner-tahoe at allmydata.com
Fri May 9 16:41:31 PDT 2008

> Am I right that the same file may be in multiple directories,
> presumably under different names?

Yes.

> Am I right that the file it's self has no knowledge of what directories it
> resides in; i.e. given a file denoted via a capability you can not recover
> any of it's names.

Yes.

> Am I right that there isn't a canonical denotation of a file, at least not
> in the public API. Or possibly put another way the r/w capability which
> denotes a file shouldn't be treated as such?

If convergence is in use, then a given file (to be precise, a given sequence
of bytes) will be transformed into the same immutable file each time it is
uploaded. If a file is uploaded as a mutable file, then each act of uploading
will create a different (and unrelated) mutable file.

Does that answer the last question?