[tahoe-dev] Tahoe on NAS drives

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sun Aug 2 06:26:10 PDT 2009

On Sunday,2009-08-02, at 4:46 , Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga wrote:

> 32MB RAM in the device. It has a hard time compiling the
> prerequisites for tahoe. Plus it's an ARM processor, so it didn't
> work right.

The current version works right on ARM.

I guess 32 MiB RAM might be too little, based on my experiment which
showed 54 MiB of RAM was needed to run a storage server (although
that experiment was on an x86 laptop -- maybe it requires less RAM on
the Debian armel architecture).  Certainly Tahoe-LAFS worked fine on
Zandr's 128-MiB ARM NAS box for a while, but then that box broke and
is currently unable to boot.

There was a bug in Crypto++ v5.5 such that it computed AES
incorrectly on ARM CPUs, but that has been fixed (either by upgrading
to Crypto++ v5.6.0 or by building pycryptopp to use its own embedded
copy of Crypto++).  After that was fixed, the unit tests passed on
Zandr's box and I used Zandr's box as my web gateway to upload and
downloading files and view directories.

François Deppierraz also contributed an ARM-based system to serve as
a Tahoe-LAFS buildbot.