[tahoe-dev] planning for v1.5.1: fully pre-packaged! (apt-get, Windows installer, Mac package)

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Thu Aug 6 11:59:58 PDT 2009

Folks:

There has been a lot of interest in Tahoe-LAFS since the v1.5.0
release.  It gets mentioned on twitter, there was that
arstechnica.com article, etc..  Several people have tried it for the
first time since the v1.5.0 release.  Many of them have reported that
they can't get it installed.

We have most of the pieces ready for a "fully pre-packaged" version
of Tahoe-LAFS.  We have .deb's automatically built with every
revision control commit and automatically uploaded to http://
allmydata.org/debian/ .  The only problem, I think (?) is that the
apt index is not getting regenerated after the new .deb's are
uploaded (#769, #617) and that we don't have an Ubuntu Hardy-amd64
buildslave (#644).

We have a Windows installer automatically built and uploaded with
every commit.  The only problem is that it is being uploaded to a
private server owned by allmydata.com and nobody has volunteered to
test it or document it.  (It might have bit-rotted due to lack of
attention and lack of automated tests.)

We have a Mac .dmg package automatically built and uploaded with
every commit.  I recently wrote automated tests to see whether the
resulting .dmg was actually mountable and whether the Tahoe-LAFS
executable therein was actually runnable.  Yay!  Real tests!  Except
it fails the tests -- the 'tahoe' executable inside the .dmg throws
an exception (#762, #763).

So, let's get some volunteers to fix these tickets and as soon as
they are all fixed (see The Roadmap [1]), we'll release Tahoe-LAFS
v1.5.1!  You can signal to everyone that you are working on a ticket
by "accepting" it on the trac.  Thank you!

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/roadmap

tickets mentioned in this email:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/617 # Debian etch package size
mismatch
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/644 # tahoe dependencies not
available for hardy-amd64
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/762 # build of mac package
fails due to pkgutil in zetuptoolz
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/763 # build of mac package
fails due to some mysterious reason (not pkgutil)
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/769 # debian 'sid' package
fails to run: pycryptopp-0.5.15 not available in debian form