[tahoe-dev] timeouts

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sun Aug 9 13:25:34 PDT 2009

On Thursday,2009-08-06, at 19:58 , Sam Mason wrote:

> My only initial concern is the apparent lack of timeouts when
> creating/uploading things.
> When I look on the "status" screen I see "Sending Shares: 9 placed
> out of 10".  It sits there for ages and doesn't seem to get
> anywhere.  If I hit "Create a Directory" a few times it'll
> eventually pick a good set of nodes and things will work, but this
> doesn't seem "optimal".
>
> Maybe I've done something strange?

Nope, this is a known issue.  It happens a lot on Test Grid, where
there are nodes which are offering storage service but which
disconnect abruptly without saying goodbye or which take ages
(minutes) to respond to your requests.  I encounter it frequently
because my blog is stored on Test Grid.  It doesn't happen very often
grids with higher-quality storage servers.  Here are some probably-
relevant tickets: #193, #253, #287, #436, #521, #573.

I would love it for this to get fixed.  Maybe someone wants to
contribute to Tahoe-LAFS by fixing this issue?

> I also got somewhat confused by "docs/running.html" somewhat
> arbitrarily referring to "nodes", "clients", "grids", "servers",
> "clients" and "introducers".  I've had a reasonable hack of this
> file and am attaching it as well.

Thanks!  Applied in [4044]

tickets mentioned in this message:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/193 # pauses during streaming
music at a party
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/253 # everything stalls after
abrupt disconnect
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/287 # download: tolerate lost/
missing peers
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/436 # add rate information to
upload/download status
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/521 # disconnect unresponsive
servers (using foolscap's disconnectTimeout)
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/573 # Allow client to control
which storage servers receive shares

patches mentioned in this message:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/changeset/4044