[tahoe-dev] Observations on Tahoe performance

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Mon Aug 10 12:40:59 PDT 2009

While tuning my GridBackup uploader, I've noticed some things about the
perfomance of immutable uploads through a helper that puzzle me.  Note that
I'm only doing immutable uploads, there are no mutable files, not even
dirnodes.

First, I should say that I haven't yet instrumented the uploader, so these
are "observations", not "measurements".

The configuration is that GridUpload is using the web API to upload to a local
Tahoe node which is sending the data through my puny cable modem to a helper
sitting in a colo on a 2 Gbps connection.  For test purposes I'm using the
test grid, but I see the same behavior on my friendnet.

The first observation is that when uploading small files it is very hard to
keep the upstream pipe full, regardless of my configuration.  My upstream
connection is only about 400 kbps, but I can't sustain any more than about
200 kbps usage regardless of whether I'm using a local node that goes through
a helper, direct to the helper, or a local node without the helper.  Of
course, not using the helper produces the worst effective throughput, because
the uploaded data volume stays about the same, but the data is FEC-expanded.

Something that seems to help to some degree is to run parallel upload threads.
All of the threads are talking to the same local Tahoe node, so I'd expect
that I should be able to maintain roughly the same performance whether the
uploads are done in parallel or serially -- especially since that node is
just pumping the data up to the helper.  There is a diminishing returns
effect on the number of threads, but more seems to be better, up to the point
where it's too much and starts to trigger 500 errors in the Tahoe node,
or "too many open files" exceptions.

Any idea why that would be?

The second observation is that performance seems to be somewhat improved by
sending to a local node which sends to a helper, rather than connecting
directly to the helper.  There are obviously security reasons to prefer a
local node, but it seems to help performance as well?

Any ideas about that one?

I'm trying to understand what influences performance and why, so I can
maximize the upload throughput.  My complete backup will take months to
upload either way, but two months is better than four :-)

	Shawn.