[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #778: "shares of happiness" is the wrong measure; "servers of happiness" is better

tahoe-lafs trac at allmydata.org
Sat Aug 15 20:40:34 PDT 2009

#778: "shares of happiness" is the wrong measure; "servers of happiness" is
better
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  zooko               |           Owner:
     Type:  defect              |          Status:  new

Comment(by kevan):

 Based on the definition given above, (i.e.: {{{servers_of_happiness=n}}}
 implies that the survival of {{{n}}} servers is sufficient for my file to
 be available) it doesn't seem unreasonable to interpret
 {{{servers_of_happiness=1}}} to mean that if any one of the servers that
 my file is initially uploaded to is online, then my file is still
 available. This is not the same as saying that I do not care about
 {{{servers_of_happiness}}} -- solving the first interpretation would
 require placing {{{k}}} shares on each server that received any shares at
 all, while the second case is solved if the upload of the file is
 successful at all, regardless of how many shares end up on how many
 servers. Or at least that's how I interpret it. Hopefully that's clearer.

--
Ticket URL: <http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/778#comment:11>
tahoe-lafs <http://allmydata.org>