[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #773: document installation on Windows

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Mon Aug 17 05:47:59 PDT 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009 07:51:40 pm David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:
> I succeeded in installing on Vista using the InstallDetails instructions
> for Python 2.6 (native using MinGW, not cygwin).

Thanks for testing that.

> There is a bug in the instructions -- in step 2 of "What if that doesn't
> work?",
>
> C:\Python26\Libs\distutils
>
> should be
>
> C:\Python26\lib\distutils

Fixed.

> Minor nits:
>  - even though most people will probably work it out, there should be
>    a note that C:\Python26 is only the default Python installation
>    directory.

Fixed.

>  - on Vista, there is an extra click on 'Advanced system settings' to
>    get to the environment variable settings from the System control panel
>    applet.

Could you update the page to describe that?  You'll need to register an
account on the allmydata.org Trac system, then when you're logged in there
will be an "Edit this Page" button at the bottom.  These pages are a wiki,
though they don't look very wiki-like.

I'd do it, but I don't have access to a Vista system, so I'm not sure I'd
describe it correctly.

>  - the errors from darcs were confusing and led me down a blind alley
>    for a while, though.
>

> Also, after installation, the error messages if you try to use some of the
> subcommands without arguments, are rather unhelpful, e.g.

That's a good point.  I suggest opening a Trac ticket, since you'll already
have created an account :-)

	Shawn.