[tahoe-dev] Selecting optimal FEC parameters (also, idea for new peer selection policy)

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Thu Aug 20 20:28:39 PDT 2009

On Thursday,2009-08-20, at 21:22 , Brian Warner wrote:

> Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
>>
>> Since we stream the file from all servers in lock-step parallel,
>> your download bandwidth is equal to the bandwidth of your worst
>> server times the number of servers (ignoring the possibility of
>> multi-share-per-server).
>
> Hm, it would be awfully cool to have a tool that visualized this
> sort of thing in realtime.

Yeah!  That's an example of why I wanted Kevin Reid to be sponsored
by the GSoC project to hack on Tahoe-LAFS visualizations this summer.

Too bad GSoX sponsored him to work on caja instead.  (Although of
course caja is super cool, and his contribution, which I think had
something to do with a remote object protocol for caja, sounded cool.)

Maybe now that summer is ending and Kevin will be back to the old
grindstone taking lots of courses he'll find the motivation to hack
on Tahoe-LAFS visualizations in his spare time.  ;-)