[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-LAFS for Ubuntu!

Micah Anderson micah at riseup.net
Sun Aug 30 11:44:50 PDT 2009

Hi!

* Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn <zooko at zooko.com> [2009-08-26 01:03-0400]:
> Dear Micah Anderson and Fernando Ribeiro:
>
> You've each expressed interest in Tahoe-LAFS in the past.  Now we've
> finally gotten it all packaged up to be included in Ubuntu.  Are
> either of you authorized to do package reviews for Ubuntu?

I am not authorized to do package reviews for Ubuntu. I am a Debian
developer and can get packages into Debian. Typically Debian is
'upstream' for Ubuntu for packages, they have those sync'd from Debian
to Ubuntu on a regular basis. If they are in Debian already, it is much
easier to get them into Ubuntu.

I am interested in getting this into Debian, although I cannot commit to
being the sole package maintainer. As a first step towards a team-based
approach, I have requested from the Debian Alioth team resources for a
packaging team. Once this has been approved, I would encourage everyone
to join the team. This way we can share a mailing list for maintainence,
and a revision control system for managing the package(s) involved.

Some background... In October of 2008, I wrote to the Tahoe list
indicating that I would be interested in helping get Tahoe into Debian,
the thread is here:

http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2008-October/000840.html.

Myself, Fernando and Brian Warner reviewed the pre-requirements that
were needed and what work had been done so far. Brian Warner had already
put some time into making packages, and offered to review those packages
and sponsor them for Debian (rather than re-doing the packaging from
scratch).

So, I can approach this from the Debian side. To review the current
state of things:

Tahoe-lafs
----------
http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/tahoe-lafs
Debian ITP: missing

Todo: file ITP, I will do this now. package tahoe-lafs based off of
Ubuntu package, and then have Ubuntu sync in the future.

Zfec
-----
http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/zfec
Debian ITP: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=503976 (open)

This is currently listed as an Intent to Package by Zooko since October
of 2008. Zooko, do you actually "Intend" to package this for Debian? The
ITP bug title indicates that you are intending to do this.

Todo: Waiting for response from Zooko about desire to package
this. Package zfec, base it off of the ubuntu package and then have
Ubuntu sync in the future

Foolscap
--------
http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/foolscap
Debian ITP: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=499699 (closed)

The python-foolscap package is in Debian since end of December, it is
currently at version 0.4.2.

Todo: A request for this package to be sync'd to Ubuntu should happen.

Pycryptopp
http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/p/pycryptopp
Debian ITP: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=503977 (closed)

The python-pycryptopp package is in Debian, currently at revision
0.5.15, it looks like this is being handled by Zooko (although perhaps
you would like to integrate it into the team repository when it is
available?)

Todo: A request for this package to be sync'd to Ubuntu should happen