[tahoe-dev] Load balancing

Marc Tooley tahoe-devPOST at quake.ca
Mon Aug 31 23:10:02 PDT 2009

On Saturday 29 August 2009, Brian Warner wrote:
> It's a bandwidth hit, but it
> gets you rebalancing, but you need more code to delete the old shares
> (or more likely cancel their leases and wait for expiration).

The ability to actually delete shares, for those of us who are afraid to
run the garbage collector because we're afraid to forget to renew
leases, would be neat in support of features like this sort of
re-balancing. (And perhaps for distant-future human-intervention space
reclamation too.)

Sometimes we (people like me) do have a bunch of machines all operating
that are all 100% under our own control, but I understand that tahoe
was built more for mass-participation and not necessarily people who
are using private grids as a fault-resistant, ultra-reliable backup
mechanism.