[tahoe-dev] would the Volunteer Grid be an appropriate host for our dependencies?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sun Dec 13 07:44:06 PST 2009

> Yes.  Setuptools is the tool doing the downloading of dependencies,
> and it already does this.  The problem is that if it queries the first
> source and that source responds v e r y  s l o w l y then the build
> process becomes very slow.  So this is a concern about the Volunteer
> Grid's performance, not about its longevity.  (Is "longevity" the word
> we settled on to mean "your files are still there later"?)

Is this only a concern when building without an existing tahoe installation?

Ideally, we should eat our own dogfood, and when downloading dependencies,
download them from a repository over native tahoe protocols, and the protocols
should handle a slow host already.

Of course, if you need dependencies, you likely don't have tahoe in the
first place, in which case, why not just put everthing in on a well-maintained
apache server and avoid the 'slow source' issue.