[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-lafs and nodes behind NAT (behind another NAT)

Shawn Willden shawn at willden.org
Fri Dec 18 20:37:17 PST 2009

On Friday 18 December 2009 04:43:13 pm Jody Harris wrote:
> Am I to understand this to mean that resolving this issue is not a priority
> for the tahoe development team?

Well, I can't speak for the "tahoe development team" (whatever that is) but
what I meant is that this is a really hard problem to solve, and it's really
sad that it impedes so much progress.

As for the solution, there are a lot of different NAT traversal techniques
that address various forms of NAT.  What's needed is for someone to do the
research on the tools and techniques that are most applicable, and then take
a shot at adding traversal support to Tahoe.

Perhaps you'd like to do it?  A good place to start might be to find out what
NAT traversal libraries exist and how hard they are to use, and how hard they
are to port to all of the platforms Tahoe runs on.  Python libs would be
ideal, but C or C++ libs aren't too bad, as long as they're portable.

	Shawn.