[tahoe-dev] Tahoe-lafs and nodes behind NAT (behind another NAT)

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sat Dec 19 14:25:43 PST 2009

There are currently five tickets about making it easier for people to
use Tahoe-LAFS through firewalls and NATs.  You can see them by gong
to the ViewTickets page:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/ViewTickets

and scrolling down to the "Keywords" section and look for the keyword
"firewall".  They are these:

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/49# UPnP
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/50# STUNT/ICE
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/169# tcp hole-punching!
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/445# implement relay: allow
storage servers behind NAT
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/754# merge manually specified
tub location with autodetected tub location

There are some interesting things in some of these!  In #49 Shawn
Willden did a quick experiment (sort of what Extreme Programming
calls a "spike") with miniupnp that was promising.  In #169 Greg
Hazel offered some Python code to integrate TCP hole-punching magic
right into the Python sockets.

My personal favorite approach right now is the extend the helper to
do immutable download, mutable upload, and mutable download and then
treat the helper as the preferred solution for this problem.
However, like Shawn, I am not volunteering to work on this right
now.  (If you want to know what I'm volunteering to work on right now
search for tickets that I've accepted.  I'm mostly trying to finish
#778 and other tickets that I consider essential for v1.6, plus fix
up buildbots and other testing or quality control issues that I
consider essential for v1.6.)