[tahoe-dev] Deleting a zero-length filename?

Kyle Markley kyle at arbyte.us
Sat Dec 19 22:27:11 PST 2009

Zooko,

> Hm, according to #94 you can do it with the wui.  I've opened #863 to
> add this ability to the CLI.  So you should either submit a patch for
> #863 or use the wui to do it.  :-)

I discovered after I asked for help (isn't that always the way?) that it
was only the web interface at allmydata.com that had trouble deleting it.
I had no problem deleting it from the web interface of my unix tahoe node.

I've been spending a lot of time looking through the tahoe educational
materials and tinkering with it to get my backups working smoothly, and I'd
like to voice how pleased I am.  Tahoe is a very clever thing.

Of course, I would be happier if the documentation were more complete and
the error handling were more obvious and more user friendly, but I know I'm
a hard guy to please in those respects.  :)

Currently, I'm puzzled a bit by the 'check' operation.  It was my
understanding that to do a check, I need only the verify cap.  But when I
try to check my root directory on the production grid, it only succeeds if
I use the write or read cap.  If I try the verify cap, I get an "ERROR 400
Bad Request" that it "is not a valid file- or directory- cap".  I get the
same results running tahoe check on an immutable file.  Do I misunderstand
how this is supposed to work, or is something wrong here?

And, does anyone know why I've never been able to connect to the
production grid helper?

--
Kyle Markley