[tahoe-dev] Deleting a zero-length filename?

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Sun Dec 20 08:47:43 PST 2009

On Saturday, 2009-12-19, at 23:27 , Kyle Markley wrote:

> I've been spending a lot of time looking through the tahoe
> educational materials and tinkering with it to get my backups
> working smoothly, and I'd like to voice how pleased I am.  Tahoe is
> a very clever thing.

Thank you for the kind words!  What grid are you using for your
backups -- the allmydata.com prouction grid?

> Of course, I would be happier if the documentation were more
> complete and the error handling were more obvious and more user
> friendly, but I know I'm a hard guy to please in those respects.  :)

Great!  We could use yet another picky, demanding user to identify
exactly what parts of the documentation need improving.  ;-)

> It was my understanding that to do a check, I need only the verify
> cap.  But when I try to check my root directory on the production
> grid, it only succeeds if I use the write or read cap.

This is ticket #578.  If I recall correctly it is actually just a
shallow user interface issue -- the underlying machinery will work if
you pass it a verify cap but the UI frontends incorrectly require a
readcap.  If that recollection of mine is true then we should add the
tag "easy" to that ticket.

> And, does anyone know why I've never been able to connect to the
> production grid helper?

Hm, that server is down at the moment.  We at allmydata.com had a
clever idea to make our servers boot from USB flash drives so that we
could use the entirety of each hard drive for storage instead of for
the boot and root files.  Unfortunately USB flash drives turn out to
be extremely short-lived in our experience.  We've probably burned
through two dozen of them and we need to replace four more now to
bring up four of our servers.  One of those servers that is currently
down is helper.allmydata.com.

Now we could set up another server to act as a helper and give you
the furl to it and you could use that.  I'll get back to you.

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/578# I want to check a file
using its verify-cap.