[tahoe-dev] Privacy of data when stored on allmydata.com

Francois Deppierraz francois at ctrlaltdel.ch
Tue Feb 3 02:40:28 PST 2009

Andrej,

Andrej Falout wrote:

> 1) tahoe cp -r ... is in that case not an option for any data that needs
> to be secured. Does anyone have a suggesting of what to do so that all
> files passed to tahoe client are allready encrypted?

Yes, my duplicity tahoe backend [1] can do exactly that if you omit the
"--no-encryption" option.

> 2) I assume this will remove any chance of using rsync, Unison, or
> simmilar to keep local disk and tahoe store in sync, and that the only
> strategy for backups will be to do a full backup to a single encrypted
> file, and then do differential backups? Which would mean that each file
> that was changed will need to be uploaded completely, and not just the
> parts that changed? And after restore, all files that where deleted sin
> the meantime will reappear on restored file system? And files versioning
> is out of the question?

Shawn Wilden is currently working on a much better backup implementation
which does versioning and much more. Have a look at this maling-list
archives.

However, the issue of giving your rootcap to allmydata.com is indeed
important. According to this post [2] from Brian Warner, creating your
own rootcap on the production grid is somewhat "supported" but I cannot
find any official information about that.

François

[1] http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2008-November/000890.html
[2] http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2008-November/000880.html