[tahoe-dev] Keeping local file system and Tahoe store in sync

Jeremy Fitzhardinge jeremy at goop.org
Fri Feb 6 15:49:59 PST 2009

Brian Warner wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 13:52:56 -0700
> Shawn Willden <shawn-tahoe at willden.org> wrote:
>

>> [1] I've also been playing with using the FSEvents log on Mac OS X to avoid
>> having to scan the file system, and I've read that there's a way to get
>> access to the NTFS journal so a system service can record file system
>> changes that way. It should be possible on those platforms to get away from
>> having to actually scan the file system. Linux doesn't seem to have
>> anything equivalent, unfortunately (inotify is fine if you only care about
>> a small portion of the FS).
>>

> For linux, look at 'dnotify', I think it's closer to what you want.

I think its the other way around, no?  inotify can give you events for a
whole tree of namespace, whereas dnotify requires that you actually have
all the directories open, which doesn't scale at all well.  dnotify is
very definitely deprecated these days.

(Not that inotify is particularly easy to use...)