[tahoe-dev] "tahoe stats" command

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Feb 10 08:05:36 PST 2009

Dear Andrej Falout:

On Feb 10, 2009, at 2:23 AM, Andrej Falout wrote:

> Then the download appears to start, there is a lot of network
> traffic, but in 20 minutes not a single file appears in '/tmp/
> Pictures-RESTORE'.
>
> At which point I abort it. And read the 1.3 release announcement.
> And wonder.

Thank you for the detailed reports and for the criticism.  If
everyone took their mother's advice and said only the nice things
while politely ignoring the problems, it would be harder to
improve.  ;-)

By pressing ahead with the 1.3.0 release I do not mean to imply that
your performance problems are unimportant.  Performance is, of
course, of the essence.

But my current plan with tahoe-1.3.0 is just to make sure that it
contains as few unknown bugs as possible, and is released as soon as
possible.  It has been 7 months since the last stable release of
tahoe (v1.2.0).  That's far too long.

Hopefully tahoe-1.3.0 will provide a "known quantity" -- a stable
release which everyone can rely on and which we can use as a starting
point for more improvement.

Now, about your actual performance isses, it is hard for me to
understand the big picture.  I think that some of your earlier
measurements turned out to just be that your upstream bandwidth isn't
big enough to upload your whole collection quickly (no-one's is, it
seems).  However, other of your measurements seem to indicate
interesting underlying issues.  20 minutes without visible progress
on "cp -r" is obviously (?) a flaw in the design or the UI of "tahoe
cp".  Likewise your observation that many small files is much slower
(by a factor of 8) than using duplicity clearly points to an issue in
the way "tahoe cp" handles multiple files.  Probably it is simply
that it doesn't do pipelining of uploads -- it uploads one file,
waits until that one has finished uploading, and then uploads the
next.  Let's see...  Yep:

See copy_files_to_target() --

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/src/allmydata/scripts/
tahoe_cp.py?rev=3380#L660

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge and experience than me can
figure out why your "tahoe cp" to *download* didn't show any
progress.  That is obviously bad behavior, but I don't know whether
it is known bad behavior or previously-unknown bad behavior.

Thanks!