[tahoe-dev] Unicode issues review

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Feb 17 07:19:47 PST 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 7:48 AM, Shawn Willden wrote:

> This has the downside of assuming that files will be retrieved by a
> system with the same encoding as the system that stored them.
> That's a reaonable assumption, IMO, for a backup tool like mine, or
> 'tahoe backup'  Not so much for a general-purpose DFS, I suppose.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of a file appearing fine on one person's
computer, but having a garbled name or even failing to appear at all
on someone else's.

So if Tahoe really can't figure out the encoding of a string, it
might be better to reject it and ask the user to configure an
explicit encoding somehow instead of to try the "pass the opaque
bytes along" trick.