[tahoe-dev] Unicode issues review

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Feb 17 09:31:35 PST 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 9:15 AM, Shawn Willden wrote:

> The problem with that is that there isn't necessarily any one
> encoding that works.  It would be nice if all the file names in a
> file system used the same encoding, but it isn't necessarily true.

Ugh -- you mean to tell me that the filesystem itself might not know
what encoding a filename is in?  In that case, examining the
directory with "ls" or a gooey file browser would show gibberish,
right?  Unless "ls" or the gooey file browser is *guessing* what
encoding this particular sequence of bytes is probably in.

Do any real systems do this?

---
Tahoe, the Least-Authority Filesystem -- http://allmydata.org
store your data: $10/month -- http://allmydata.com/?tracking=zsig