[tahoe-dev] Unicode issues review

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Tue Feb 17 12:45:57 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 12:22:58 -0700, zooko <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Shawn Willden wrote:
> > Maybe rather than trying a bunch of different encodings, just try:
> >
> > (1)  The encoding for the current locale (whether specified per-
> > file or by the environment.
> > (2)  UTF-8
> >
> > And if neither of those work, then treat it as an opaque blob.
> > Perhaps toss in UTF-16 as well.
>
> That sounds good, since UTF-16 is the default for Microsoft
> platforms, so names encoded in UTF-16 are probably common.

UTF-16?

Most of my files encode to ASCII, only a few need those German
Umlauts, even less need the fancy stuff.  I will not (for sure) argue
about the storage space wasted by UTF-16 vs. UTF-8, but for now, UTF-8
is probably an encoding that's easier handled (at least by humans)
than UTF-16.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of: They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,