[tahoe-dev] new stable grid volunteers

Aleksandr Milewski zandr at allmydata.com
Sun Feb 22 07:30:05 PST 2009

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 09:07:00AM +1100, Andrej Falout wrote:
>
>>    Yeah, I know the purpose of the Tahoe software/project, but I was
>>    wondering about the purpose for the proposed new node independent of
>>    [1]allmydata.org ?
>
> Allmydata has done a fine job of sponsoring infrastructure, but we can't
> rely on this continuing, and we shouldn't.

If you're talking specifically about allmydata.*org*, the testgrid
should not be considered reliable, stable, or even persistent.

That's a development resource, and as the allmydata.*com* ops guy, I
worry that people forget about the nature of the test grid. It's been
flushed for incompatible format changes in the (distant) past, and it's
within the charter of that grid to do it again.

Allmydata.com operates a stable, persistent grid as a service, and I
think it's a great idea to get an independent grid going.

-Zandr