[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #641: tahoe backup should be able to backup symlinks

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Tue Feb 24 11:24:24 PST 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 11:36:12 am tahoe-lafs wrote:
>  Here's a patch which makes tahoe backup ignore symlinks.

FYI, that's my backup tool's approach as well.  For symlinks I store the
symlink metadata (including the link target) but don't traverse the link.

On a related issue, I also restrict backup scans to a single device.  If you
want to back up multiple devices, you need to add the root of each.  That may
be overly-restrictive, but it avoids needing to special-case "faked" file
systems like /proc and it also avoids accidentally traversing into a remote
mount.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

BTW, there's a public git repository of my code at:

   http://willden.org/~shawn/GridBackup.git

It's just a copy of my working repository and is quite a mess.

	Shawn.