[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #534: "tahoe cp" command encoding issue

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Thu Feb 26 20:36:54 PST 2009

On Thursday 26 February 2009 06:52:19 pm Andrej Falout wrote:
> Hi François,
>
> A tool like convmv [1] might help you to fix your filenames.
>
> Hm.... me confused (again). It seems this tool expect me to know in advance
> for each file "from" encoding, to be able to do anything with it?

I'm not familiar with the tool, but that's not surprising.  The fundamental
problem is that there is NO WAY for a tool to tell what encoding was used.
The best a tool could do is try a whole bunch of decoders and disply the
results from all of the ones that didn't fail.

I actually hacked a small Python script to do exactly that a week or so ago,
I'll look to see if I still have it around -- later.  I'm late for a meeting
right now.

	Shawn.