[tahoe-dev] Verifying file contents

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Sun Jul 5 11:34:17 PDT 2009

Is there an easy/inexpensive way to check that a local file matches a remote
(immutable) file?

I could extract the Tahoe code that calculates the key from the local file,
given the current convergence secret, and then compare that with the key in
the URI.  Or perhaps modify Tahoe to expose a "key calculation" service
through the web API.

Another thing I could do is upload the local file as an immutable file.  If
the file is already in the grid, this shouldn't take very long, and the
returned URI should match.  But if the local file doesn't match the remote
file, the local file will be uploaded to the grid, which I don't really want.

Is there a way (through the web API) to "fake" a PUT?  That is, do everything
except actually communicate with storage servers?

A problem with all of these methods is that they break if the convergence key
doesn't match, but I suppose that's a feature, not a bug.

Thanks,

	Shawn