[tahoe-dev] UEB hash size

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Sun Jul 12 17:45:32 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

What's the rationale for including the full 256-bit UEB hash in the CHK URI?
Those URIs could be shortened considerably by truncating it to, say, 128
bits.

How difficult would it be to allow Tahoe to operate with either full UEB
hashes or abbreviated hashes?  I'm thinking I could shorten my read cap index
entries significantly if I could store only half of the UEB hash.  Along
those lines in the context of small, trusted grids, it might even be
reasonable to omit the UEB hash entirely (in my case I have a separate
content hash, and it should also be possible to hash the retrieved and
decrypted file to regenerate the read key and check integrity that way,
assuming an unchanged convergence secret).

What is the bare minimum data needed to retrieve, reassemble and decrypt an
immutable file?  Just the AES read key?

The web API doesn't like CHK URIs that conform to the full specification, but
I'm sure that could be changed easily enough, if it made sense.

	Shawn.