[tahoe-dev] calling all VolunteerGrid operators

David Triendl david at triendl.name
Thu Jul 16 18:24:58 PDT 2009

Good evening everyone,

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 03:50:43PM -0600, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> If you are contributing a storage server to The VolunteerGrid, would
> you please update the VolunteerGrid page on the wiki and describe your
> server a little?
For those left wondering: The url is
http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/wiki/VolunteerGrid

> Thanks.  After this mail, which is going out to tahoe-dev, I'll
> probably send future mails about the VolunteerGrid only to people
> whose contact info is listed on that page.
It would probably be easier if we had a small mailing list for volunteergrid
operators/users, where we can discuss stuff like storage distributions, server
outages, public nodes, experiments made, etc. Looking at the number of
volunteergrid-related messages on tahoe-dev, I don't think the mailing list
would be obstrusive or high-volume in any way.

On a related, note, I would like to ask all volunteergrid users about how they
use the volunteergrid? What kind of files did you store, what encoding did you
use, what are your tahoe/volunteergrid success stories?

Oh, and last but not least, I looked at Eugen Leitl's initial call for
volunteers for a stable grid (
http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2009-February/001248.html ) - There
are a lot of people who seemed interested but didn't add a node yet. Why not
take a few minutes and join the volunteergrid? After all, everyone benefits
from a broader node distribution.

Cheers,
David