[tahoe-dev] Lock files in Tahoe directories

Shawn Willden shawn-tahoe at willden.org
Tue Jul 21 08:59:35 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 09:55:25 am Shawn Willden wrote:
> According to mutable.txt, the Prime Coordination Directive is "Don't Do
> That". Specifically, uncoordinated writes to tahoe mutable slots are just
> asking for bad things to happen.

Sorry to follow up to myself, but I just noticed another possible option:
What if all clients are using the same helper to make updated to the shared
dirs?  Does the internal serialization mentioned in mutable.txt allow the
helper to ensure that updates are serialized?  If that's the case, then for
the moment I could probably just use normal lock file techniques and rely on
the helper to ensure that all clients have a consistent view of the behavior.

I could probably write some tests to check whether or not that works, but I'd
like to know whether or not it theoretically should work before I bother.

	Shawn.