[tahoe-dev] cleversafe says: 3 Reasons Why Encryption is Overrated

Jason Resch jresch at cleversafe.com
Sat Jul 25 14:00:16 PDT 2009

Russ Weeks wrote:
> Yikes, that All-Or-Nothing transform, that's an interesting algorithm.

It certainly is.  When first described by Ron Rivest, it was mostly a
curiosity with little practical benefit, and therefore had been mostly
forgotten. However, when it is combined with an information dispersal
algorithm, the combined system has many of the properties of the Shamir
Secret Sharing Scheme, but maintaining the perfect storage efficiency of
the IDA.

> Seems to me that it reduces the security of AES-256 to the security of
> the dispersal algorithm.  If I control a subset of malicious nodes
> within the distributed storage system, and I can convince the sender
> (via DDOS or some network coordinate trickery, perhaps) to spread K
> slices of user data amongst my nodes, then I can recover the user
> data.

To see the security benefits of this approach it is best to think of AES
as a special case of this system where K = N = 2.  Where one "slice" is
the encrypted data and the other slice is the key.  To compromises this
system an attacker must compromise data from two locations, the location
where encrypted data is kept and the location where the key is kept.
Disperal+AONT can improve upon this, as K can be greater than 2, forcing
an attacker to have to compromise a large number of locations.
Additionally, N can be greater than K, therefore yielding a higher
degree of reliability, where in the simple case of AES, one would have
to make copies of the key and data to increase the reliability (but this
decreases confidentiality).

The system you envisage is one in which the owner of the system is
different from the user of the system.  You are correct that this system
would not be secure if one stored >=K number of slices on untrusted
machines, but the same is true for AES: one couldn't store their key and
encrypted data on machines they didn't trust and expect their data to be
safe.  Of all the ways to store secret keys reliabily and
confidentially, secret sharing schemes are the best known technique.
Dispersal+AONT allows one to store their data itself in the same way
that people have been storing their keys when using a secret sharing
scheme.  Therefore it can be somewhat redundant to use a traditional key
based system along with dispersal+aont, because the question them
becomes, "How do you secure that secret key?"  If the technique for
securing the key is the same as the data, there is little practical
benefit.  Of course this requires that the machines storing slices must
be as secure and trusted as locations one would store shares of their
key.  Nothing prevents one from using both an existing encryption system
and then dispersal+aont, this will yield greater confidentiality but
reduced reliability.

> Why would I take a nice, robust, well-understood algorithm like
> AES-256 and hobble it with my in-house dispersal algorithm?  Because
> key management is hard?  It _is_ hard, definitely, and I don't quite
> understand how TahoeLAFS approaches the problem (I guess it has to do
> with these 'caps' you guys keep talking about), but we shouldn't
> ignore the problem just because it's hard.

It's not just a question of technical or logistical difficulty of a key
management system.  The bigger concern is _how_ exactly your key
management system actually secures your keys.  Often it is stored in a
single physical medium, and the loss of that one device storing the key
means one loses all data that it was encrypted with.  Or, the theft or
compromise of that one system means the attacker has access to all of
your data.  As Zooko noted before, AONT utilizes AES in an unmodified
way, the only difference is how the key is protected.  Dispersal+AONT
doesn't ignore the problem of key management, rather it solves the key
management problem by eliminating it (or more accurately collapsing it
into the same problem of how the data is managed).

> As for Reason #1, that computers get faster and faster: pick a key
> size sufficiently large for you to retire well before your customers
> come calling with pitchforks and torches.

In the response #1 post, the problem is not only exponentially
increasing computing power, but advances in mathematical theory and
quantum computers which threaten the asymmetric algorithms which so many
key management systems are dependent upon.  Such advances leading to
breaks in RSA or ECC could come at any time, because it's never been
proven that those problems have no efficient solutions.  Use of
asymmetric algorithms in key management systems is very common because
all the secret keys used by one person can be protected by a single
asymmetric key.  Asymmetric algorithms are completely unnecessary when
Dispersal+AONT are used, and therefore this approach offers greater
time-resistance.

> As for Reason #3, that disclosure laws are a PITA: Any storage system
> based on distributing erasure-encoded slices is going to enjoy those
> benefits, right? I don't see how All-or-Nothing is a big win over a
> key-management infrastructure.

Without the AONT applied prior to dispersal, some slices, we call "data
slices" would contain recognizable information from the original input
data.  This could be avoided by computing all "code slices" which are
slices produced by the erasure codes, but this is computationally
expensive, and unecessary when AONT is applied.

P.S.

Many of the questions you and Zooko raised were brought up by others in
a previous discussion thread.  You might find then interesting:

http://groups.google.com/group/cloud-computing/browse_thread/thread/bd763d933d40394e/451f43e9eafee6da

However replies to that thread seemed to have stop appearing, so if you
have comments regarding any of them you should post them to this mailing
list.

Thanks,

Jason