[tahoe-dev] Trac Broken?

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jun 29 10:28:53 PDT 2009

On Jun 29, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Peter Secor wrote:

> It looks ok now, this happens every once in awhile when the db gets
> locked. I think Zooko checked into it once and may have more details.

Yes, I foolishly upgraded the trac software and the TracDarcs plugin
without first making a backup copy of the sqlite db.  The sqlite db
got corrupted.  (Note: sqlite is not supposed to get corrupted no
matter what the Python code that is sending sql commands to it does,
nor even if sqlite gets killed in the middle of a process of writing
updates, or the underlying operating system crashes or if.  So this
indicates that there was a bug in the version of sqlite on our
server.  I didn't investigate.)

It took 14 hours to repopulate the sqlite db with all of the darcs
history.  I assume that the slowness of this process was mostly
darcs's fault since darcs is so slow, but I didn't investigate.  The
entire db remained locked through the repopulating process, so the
whole trac was unavailable for most of the day.

Okay, so please let me know if you see anything else funny about the
new version of trac (0.11.4 instead of the 0.11.2 that we were using
until now) or the new TracDarcs.

Also, I'm going to make backup copies of the sqlite db before
changing anything, from now on.  Sorry about that!