[tahoe-dev] plans for tahoe-1.3.1

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Wed Mar 4 09:36:14 PST 2009

Folks:

Here are my current thoughts on a future release of tahoe-1.3.1.
After sending this note I'll also update The Roadmap [1] to reflect
these thoughts and any others that people post here.

There are three categories of issues that might be included in
tahoe-1.3.1: things we've already done since 1.3.0 (yay!), things
that we really ought to do before another stable release and that we
can probably do pretty soon, and things that I really want but I'm
not sure if someone will do them in time for 1.3.1.

Things we've already done since 1.3.0:

  * improved provisioning/reliability tool (Shawn and Brian) [2]
  * more better unit tests and much faster unit tests (Brian)
  * better tools for controlling lots of check and repair operations
and share crawler and storage server diagnostics (Brian) [3, 4, 5, 6,
7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16] (yes, Brian is the One Man Army
of awesome Python hacking)
  * better error reporting from cli (Brian) [17]
  * improved doc and UI and internal structure (Brian, Nils, Alberto)
[18, 19, 20]
  * make the sftp server work with sshfs (Alberto) [21]

Things we really ought to do:

  * fix the filename encoding situation (my most recent proposal for
how is http://allmydata.org/pipermail/tahoe-dev/2009-March/
001379.html ) [x]
  * find out what is wrong with my klog on testgrid such that I get
all kinds of scary errors when I try to update it ; fix or document
this situation
  * apply DKW's patch to build .debs on Intrepid and configure
Shawn's buildbot to use it [x+1]
  * handle symlinks better [x+2] (what's the status of Alberto's patch?)
  * "mtime" and "ctime": I don't think that word means what you think
it means. [x+3]

Things that I want but I don't know if anyone will do them in time
for 1.3.1:

  * world map with pins in it [y]
  * Validation of configuration settings [y+1]
  * pywin32 can't be installed with setuptools  [y+2]
  * have buildslaves automatically build debian packages of foolscap,
zfec, pycryptopp, etc. [y+3]
  * automated tests of debian compatibility [y+4]
  * support "keep this much disk space free" on Windows as well as
other platforms [y+5]
  * fix "trailing spaces in filenames break the WUI rename
function" [y+6]

So, let's focus on the tickets from "things we really ought to do",
and I'll start planning to announce tahoe-1.3.1 soon after that
category is empty.

What do you think?

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/roadmap
[2] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/changeset/3630