[tahoe-dev] P2P file-sharing protocol ideas

news.gmane.org ndurner at web.de
Sun Mar 29 05:24:36 PDT 2009

>> This asks for a (more or less) talented GUI developer, not for yet
>> another P2P protocol.
>>
> In a way, yes. It calls for a web interface in my opinion

"web *user* interface" or "web *API* interface"?

> Can the web be utilized for GNUnet
> content discovery and distribution? (i.e. finding files, not just
> webpages, etc)

I'm not sure I understand this question.
There are normal download URIs (gnunet://ecrs/chk/...) and also search
URIs (e.g. "gnunet://ecrs/ksk/gpl+txt"; currently not exposed by any UI
AFAIK).

If you want to search for content through the web, that'd also be
possible (GNU libmicrohttpd is a sister project of GNUnet and the GNUnet
filesharing library should be flexible enough to service a web UI).

> If so, why hasn't this been done yet?

I think I have seen a "search engine" on the web (probably a CGI calling
 gnunet-search) a long time ago. I don't know if it still exists or how
it was done.

Generally speaking, GNUnet lacks certain features just because the dev
team is small/too busy, not because it would be impossible to implement.

> How large is the library providing core functionality? (e.g. content
> discovery, obtaining content, publishing content)

Don't know, sorry.
The source is available at
	https://gnunet.org/svn/GNUnet
the client side filesharing stuff resides in
	applications/fs/fsui and ecrs

Best,

Nils Durner