[tahoe-dev] allmydata.com grid full

Zooko at allmydata.com zooko at allmydata.com
Sun Nov 8 02:59:09 PST 2009

On Friday,2009-11-06, at 7:57 , David Abrahams wrote:

> Thanks; some questions:
>
> * How's that going?

The summary is that you can upload at the moment, and we have a plan
for building out new capacity so that you'll be able to upload
reliably in the future.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if there
are some more periods between now and then when you're unable to
upload.  Finally, there's no issue with the safety of the files which
are already uploaded, and there's no known issue with the
availability to download those files.

On Thursday we restored a storage server named prodtahoe18 to
service, which has six hard drives for a total of 9 TB of capacity,
so you should currently be able to upload your files.  However, I
wouldn't be surprised if that server soon fills up and you cease
being able to upload again until we do something else.

We bought ten new 2 TB hard drives, but they haven't arrived and been
installed yet.

We have a long list of problems to fix such as other storage servers
which have failed to come up after a routine reboot.

We are planning to do a garbage collection run to delete files which
users have deleted from their user interface or which belonged to old
users who've unsubscribed.  I don't know how much space that will
free up.

> * If this happens in the future
>
>   * Is allmydata.com planning to notify its customers?
>
>   * Will allmydata.com have some way for us to get an ETA 'till
> more capacity without specifically asking for it?

I'll defer to Peter the question of how allmydata.com will
communicate to customers.  I do intend to open up our internal
monitoring tools which show how full each hard drive is, how busy
each CPU is, and so on.  That may be useful as a component of Peter's
customer communication programme, but by itself it is probably too
much information so I wouldn't expect it to serve as the primary way
for customers to learn about grid status.