[tahoe-dev] tahoe not building on openbsd

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Wed Nov 11 21:26:31 PST 2009

On Wednesday, 2009-11-11, at 20:10 , <kyle at arbyte.us>
<kyle at arbyte.us> wrote:

> Yep, it works.  So how do I integrate this change to pycryptopp
> with the tahoe build process?  I *could* install pycryptopp as
> root, then let tahoe see that pycryptopp already exists, but I
> would rather do all of this without being root.

I like your style with regard to that.  How about repack the
pycryptopp project with "python setup.py sdist" or "python setup.py
bdist_egg" and then put the resulting file into a subdirectory named
"tahoe-deps" (as configured in setup.cfg [1]).  If you create a
source distribution with "sdist" then it will be compiled after being
unpacked.  If you create a binary distribution with "bdist_egg" then
it will be compiled before being packed.

If this all works then we should patch pycryptopp itself [2], but I
don't yet know when we should trigger this configuration -- whenever
the OS is detected to be OpenBSD?  And I don't yet know if that long
path you used is right for all OpenBSD's.

> I'll mention again, the fact that the temporary pycryptopp build
> area gets automatically deleted when something goes wrong is a
> bug.  I wish I could let it fail, then edit and rerun pycryptopp's
> setup.py, and then rerun tahoe's setup.py to pick up where I left
> off.  Automation is great until it doesn't handle error recovery
> gracefully.

If it is a bug, it is a bug in setuptools.  But if it didn't clean up
automatically then when would those directories get cleaned up?

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/browser/setup.cfg?rev=3996
[2] http://allmydata.org/trac/pycryptopp/browser/setup.py?rev=661