[tahoe-dev] usage of key file or smart card?

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn zooko at zooko.com
Mon Nov 23 20:48:37 PST 2009

On Monday, 2009-11-23, at 21:24 , David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

> Yes. Another reason to do that is to take account of garbage
> collection: it is possible to keep caps for individual files
> without putting them in a directory tree, but then you would need
> to renew leases on them to prevent them from being garbage-
> collected. If they are in a directory tree, then you only need to
> renew a lease on the root.

Not currently true -- currently you have to go ahead and renew the
lease on every file and directory that you care about.

But we would like to make it be the case in the future, by inventing
what a "traversal cap" (which I prefer to term a "deep-verify cap")
-- ticket #308 -- and giving that to some other party who will
traverse the filesystem starting from that root and add caps on each
file for you.

http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe/ticket/308# add directory traversal /
deep-verify capability?