[tahoe-dev] [tahoe-lafs] #839: Copying directories containing caps from the future

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Nov 24 00:09:13 PST 2009

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> On Monday, 2009-11-23, at 17:51 , James A. Donald wrote:
>
>> As always, I recommend Microsoft's MIDL/com as a example of general
>> purpose, future proof, protocol negotiation for binary complied
>> objects.  Microsoft has been the technology leader in this field and
>> is worthy of imitation.
>
> Huh, that's interesting.  Could you summarize for us the engineering
> lessons, or point to some source which does?

Unfortunately this, and the assemblies that are a continuation of it in
new technology, is generally described in rather too many alarmingly fat
and densely written books, which are probably sitting unread on your
bookshelf and threatening to cause it to collapse.

So, brutally oversimplifying, and sacrificing accuracy to focus on
protocol negotiation, as it was in old days, (it has since become more
complex, and at the same time arguably considerably more restrictive,
though others might disagree.  Maybe I am old fogy who longs for the
good old days of assembly)

IDL, interface description language describes the  object interfaces of
of your object class.  An IDL file can be compiled into a C++ header and
skeleton code file, and into everything needed to make the object
accessible from c++ and several scripting languages.

Compilation of a single idl file generates the header files for both
sides, for the caller and the callee, guaranteeing that they are
equivalent, though for various reasons they cannot be identical.

The object class receives a long probabilistically globally unique
identifier, and a human readable name that need not be unique, and when
installed on a computer, it will receive a local name unique to that
computer and global to all processes on that computer.  Similarly for
each of the interfaces, which also get globally unique indentifiers and
so forth.  To be useful, an object supports a few standard interfaces
that almost all objects support, and one or more special interfaces
unique to that particular class of object, which do the particular stuff
that the class was created for.  So any useful object supports at least
two interfaces, and often an alarmingly large number of interfaces.

When a program, compiled at one time by one person, talks to an object,
compiled at another time by another person, it uses the protocol
negotiation interface, which all such objects support, to ask if the
object supports the interface it wants.

What is supposed to happen, though there is no enforcement of this, and
probably cannot be enforcement of this, is that if the object and the
program both recognize the interface globally unique indentifier, then
the interface was on both sides was supposedly compiled from
corresponding header files generated by the idl, and are supposedly
guaranteed to be able to understand each other correctly.

Conversely, if there is a problem, it fails right at the beginning, with
  the relatively usable error message that it cannot get an interface of
the desired type.

Typically what happens is you (the program) get a starting object
somehow, and then you ask for an interface that you understand, and if
you get that interface you use it to ask for another object, rinse and
repeat until you get from the object you have to the object you really
want and the interface you really want.  In C++ this results in an
alarmingly large pile of boilerplate resource management code and object
lifetime and ownership issues, which issues do not directly correspond
to the issues likely to be encountered with capabilities.  In script
languages, memory management magically takes care of these.

If you want to extend an existing type of object, and not break existing
code, you add another interface, which often differs from the previous
interface by just a single additional function.  There is very little
overhead in supporting numerous slightly different interfaces, only one
of which is likely to be actually used at any run time.  Old code will
ask for the old interface, and newer code will ask for the newer interface.