[tahoe-dev] Production grid, leases, OpenBSD buildslave

kyle at arbyte.us kyle at arbyte.us
Sat Nov 28 12:41:43 PST 2009

Hello list,

I've gotten my OpenBSD client connected to the production server at
allmydata.com and am able to use it for backups - yay!  I was able to find
the introducer by searching the mailing list archives, but the helper
address I found doesn't seem to work.  What helper should I be using?  (I
have a lot of upstream bandwidth, so maybe I don't need one anyway.)

I obtained my rootcap from https://www.allmydata.com/native_client.php.  Am
I correct in assuming that on the production grid I'm restricted to using
that single rootcap?  (Even if I can create other rootcaps, they couldn't
be associated with my login, would be indistinguishable from a non-paying
person's, and would therefore be expected to be deleted... right?)

I looked at docs/architecture.txt and it tells me that the section on
leases is out of date.  I'd like to understand more about how leasing is
done on the allmydata.com grid, and would like to hear what I can do to
manage leases.  For example, I may have some data of sentimental value that
I'd like to store permanently (or as long as I'm a customer), but on the
other hand I'd like to allow my scheduled backups to be available for
garbage collection after a specific date (say, six months after I do that
backup).  How do I do stuff like that -- or can I?

Is there documentation somewhere on the 'tahoe backup' command?  I'd like
to know more about its behavior and any command line switches it supports.

Lastly, I'll volunteer to be an OpenBSD buildslave, but I'll need someone
to send me instructions on how to do it.  I hope it's completely scripted
and boils down to just setting up a cron job.  :)