[tahoe-dev] Distributed Introduction: A closer look at Comment 11 Algorithm

M O Faruque Sarker writefaruq at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 23:09:07 PDT 2010

Hi Zooko,

I have re-read your Comment 11 algorithm
(http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/68#comment:11) and have
got these points in my mind:

1. How do nodes (or  peer introducers) come to know about the
subscribable introducer(s) at first place?

2. Can the additional communication overhead degrade the overall
network performance  when additional number of introducer(s) are
placed in the  network ?

There are some differences in this case with my robotic project. In
case of autonomous robots, all nodes are identical/ homogeneous and
they don't have any prior knowledge about other nodes, no
configuration (administration) or subscription is needed. They can
introduce newly sensed tasks to local peers as they sense them dynamically.

But this case is a heterogeneous one. Some nodes are introducers and
some are clients to them. Some admin configures and maintains them as
introducers (and hence get paid :-). If one introducer disappears
other introducer(s) are still there to serve the job. Perhaps, the
current policy of Tahoe-lafs may prohibit us to make the role of all
nodes identical. In that case some admin staffs could be jobless :-(.

Anyway this problem seems to me worthy to be investigated.

Best regards,
Faruque