[tahoe-dev] zfec: py-expat dependency from darscsver?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sun Aug 1 03:57:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com> wrote:

>  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.6/xml/parsers/expat.py", line 4, in <module>
>    from pyexpat import *
> ImportError: No module named pyexpat

Since Python 2.3 or so Python has included a copy of the expat C code
and so xml.parsers.expat is supposed to be part of the Python Standard
Library. The exception shown above indicates that your system doesn't
satisfy this expectation on the part of Python code that the module
should always be importable.

However, looking at darcsver, it doesn't really need expat for
anything, so I just published darcsver-1.5.2 which doesn't attempt to
import expat.

(I don't like working-around a bug without also fixing that bug, so if
you open an issue ticket about the packaging of expat in Python on
NetBSD, please let me know so that I can subscribe to that ticket.)