[tahoe-dev] Brian: is this okay for 1.8?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Mon Aug 2 16:06:31 UTC 2010

Dear Brian:

In your opinion is the current code from ticket #798 ready to be v1.8 final?

David-Sarah and I built a version of Tahoe-LAFS with your code from
#798, their code from #1074, and many other small patches. The
resulting tarball is here:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/source/tahoe-lafs/snapshots/tahoe-lafs-ticket798-1.7.1-r4630.tar.bz2

The source code that went into it is here:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/browser/ticket798

The history of builds of this version:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/buildbot/waterfall?branch=ticket798

On only the Supported builders:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/buildbot/waterfall?show_events=true&builder=hardy-amd64&builder=windows&builder=Kyle+OpenBSD-4.6+amd64&builder=Arthur+lenny+c7+32bit&builder=David+A.+OpenSolaris+i386&builder=Ruben+Fedora&builder=Eugen+lenny-amd64&builder=Zooko+zomp+Mac-amd64+10.6+py2.6&builder=tarballs&branch=ticket798

I'd like to announce this version as being Tahoe-LAFS v1.8β, ask
everyone to test it, and then in about two weeks' time if there are no
regressions or critical bugs discovered then change the version number
and announce it as being Tahoe-LAFS v1.8.0.

I know that you said you wanted put the #798 code into a
better-organized set of patches, so we've kept the #798 code out of
trunk so that the history of trunk can show your desired patch
organization. The question is whether you would be comfortable with
the current behavior of downloader being the behavior for v1.8.0. The
only thing I would want to delay the 1.8β release cycle for at this
point would be regressions vs. previous releases.