[tahoe-dev] Managing a Tahoe-LAFS Grid

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sun Aug 8 13:29:08 UTC 2010

Hi!

I'm thinking about how to deploy a Tahoe grid, as usual totally
over-engineered :)  I've seen that there was work done to get it
running on ARM based machines, so I guess that was done to use the
cheaper NAS boxes (for home and small/medium business use) as a Tahoe
node?

With boxes like the DNS-323 in mind, did anybody already build a small
distro that basically only starts a tahoe storage node? (With a bit of
added configury, an introducer or helper node could be started, too.)
Some kind of VPN client could be useful, too, to additionally connect
to a management network, too. (Especially, if the Tahoe node is placed
inside a RFC1918 private network.)

The overall idea is to use a number of those NAS boxes, hand them over
to friends to host them for you. Using the VPN stuff, one person can
manage the whole grid, while all may use "their" Tahoe node as a WUI
or however they like it.  A well-done minimalistic distro, doing not
all that more than starting Tahoe (with the surrounding needs like HDD
partitioning, formatting, VPN for grid management etc.) would totally
be nice. I think about buing some three or so of some cheap NAS box
(with Linux support), maybe that DNS-323 thingie. Would others be
interested in it? (Ie. not to buy mine, but do others also think that
a Tahoe-supporting distro would be good to have.)

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of: They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,