[tahoe-dev] barriers to using tahoe

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Feb 4 13:08:01 PST 2010

Zooko Wilcox-O'Hearn wrote:
> Hrm, because you don't have a sufficiently convenient way to keep
> track of the caps to them, you mean? What if you were to keep a
> bookmark to a certain directory and link everything you create into
> that directory (or into subdirectory which are linked into that
> directory, etc.). Would that satisfy? That's what I've been doing,
> e.g.: http://testgrid.allmydata.org:3567/uri/URI%3ADIR2-RO%
> 3Au6hxf6v5mu6viibkppkpd7ygu4%
> 3Am54njuevyfxpma4dzklipej3g4kh24l2tgt6l52foaqwzdhzsw3a/

But that is special knowledge about how to use the system, which is
unlikely to be immediately apparent to the typical user.

Any tool that creates a cap, should never show the user the globally
unique identifier of the cap, should automagically record that cap
somewhere the user can get at it, and should show the path in local
petnames to that capability.

Users should never see capabilities as horrid as the above.  Indeed, it
is bad to even show them stuff like <http://tinyurl.com/cqfg6h>

Direct user interaction with globally unique identifiers is always
a bad user experience.  When I blog and I post links, I usually drag and
drop the little url icon to create the link.  If I copy and paste I see
the link, if I see the link I spontaneously read it, so I should not see
the link.